All roads lead to Rome!📍
Rome, the capital of Italy and Lazio, is a city rich in history and cultural heritage. It is the most populous city in Italy and one of the largest in Europe. It is also home to the city-state of the Vatican. Its history spans more than 28 centuries, from its mythical foundation in 753 BC! But do you know everything about it? Every last secret? We're sharing 15 of them with you here 👇
15 fun facts about Rome!
- 🏛️ Rome was not the first, but the third capital of Italy. (After Turin and Florence)
- 🏟️ At its height, the Roman Empire covered 6.5 million km².
- 🍝 Pasta carbonara and cacio e pepe originated in Rome.
- 🏞️ Rome is nicknamed the "City of the Seven Hills".
- 🇫🇷 Rome's only official twin city is Paris, whose motto is "Only Paris is worthy of Rome; only Rome is worthy of Paris".
- ⛪️ Rome has over 900 churches, more than any other city in the world.
- 💇 Prostitutes in Rome were required to have blonde hair to be recognised.
- 🇻🇦 The Vatican is an independent country landlocked within Rome.
- 📜 SPQR is a Latin phrase honouring the Roman Senate and people = Senātus Populusque Rōmānus.
- 🤢 Urine was used as a mouthwash and teeth whitener in Rome.
- 💰 Every night, €3,000 is collected in the Trevi Fountain and donated to a Catholic charity to help needy families.
- 🐱 Rome has more than 300,000 stray cats and a law allows cats to live where they were born without being disturbed. They have been protected by law since 1991.
- ☕ Romans have one rule: no cappuccino after 11am or after meals. Only espresso is allowed.
- 🍝 Ancient Romans loved to eat and had amazing customs like vomiting to eat more.
- 🏟️ Only 10% of ancient Rome has been excavated, many treasures remain hidden underground.
Play in Rome
Would you like to discover even more anecdotes, fun facts, surprising facts or simply find out a little more about the history of Rome? Then get on board with Coddy!
With our exploration games in Rome, you can play and visit the city at the same time, (Re)Discovering your surroundings while solving fun puzzles with your team!